Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!





GUINNESS STOUT BEER JELLY 

makes: 7 half pint jars
(recipe from growitcookitcanit.com)

Ingredients:
  • 2 12-ounce bottles of stout beer
  • 1 package powdered Sure-Jell pectin
  • 3 ½ cups sugar
Directions:
  1. Bring canner to a boil. Wash jars and lids. Put lids in a bowl and cover with boiling water with the canner.
  2. In a large, non-reactive pot, bring the beer and powdered pectin to a rolling boil. It will be very frothy, that’s normal. Stir in sugar and bring back to a rolling boil. Cook on high heat for two full minutes.
  3. Pour hot jelly into jars. It will still be very frothy. I decided to leave a thick layer of foam on top of the jellies to imitate the way dark beer looks in a glass, but you could certainly skim it off with a spoon if you like. I only wanted a little froth on top, so I ladled the jelly into jars and led the air bubbles rise to the top for a few minutes before I screwed the lids on.
  4. Wipe rims clean, screw on lids, and process half pint jars for 5 minutes.

I haven't tried this recipe - but I am completely intrigued by it and think I may have to make some soon..... maybe today!!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Cheers!

1 comment: